Thursday, September 8, 2016

Bittersweet symphony - Day 63 of running streak, day 60 of Sugar Free Challenge*

Yes, it's another meaningful song blog entry from me...

I'll give you time to exit now...hurry...okay

So it's been an up and down morning, mostly up.  Didn't get much sleep last night, but I did get up at 4:30 (!) so that I'd have time to run.  Did 2.94 miles; not too shabby especially considering my feet yesterday.  But all felt okay, it was a starry sky, cool, perfect conditions.  I pounded it out in a little under 9 minutes per mile, which was awesome.  Sweet.

"'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony this life..."

This song came on at work today.  Fitting, because the morning quickly got a little more bitter than sweet.  Not work related, a result of my being tired and not doing all of the things I needed to do.  The sweetness of the early morning was replaced by the bitterness of mid-morning, real life time.

"I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down..."

Bittersweet.  Every day, bittersweet.  Good times, bad times.  That's how it goes.

You have great moments, like this morning.  You have bad moments.  Ups and downs.

You keep moving, you keep going.

The day of my high school graduation, my dad showed up drunk.  Bittersweet.

Of all the singing that I've ever done, I had strep throat the day of MD All State Chorus auditions in high school and didn't make it.  All three of my children have already made the equivalent.  Way more sweet than bittersweet, but still a little bittersweet.

"But I'm a million different people from one day to the next, I can't change my mold"

When I was in Little League, I crushed a ball to an adjacent field that would have been a home run for anyone else.  It was a triple for me because I was so fat at the time I couldn't run the bases.  Bittersweet.

I could go on and on.  I am a happy person.  But like all of you, I have lots of bittersweet moments.

I can't fundamentally change who I am, and neither can you.  So we tweak things in our lives, we change things up to hopefully make ourselves better.  More sweet than bitter.  It is truly the best we can hope for.

When you do things that help yourself, when you do the things that you want to do, you veer more into the sweet and away from the bitter.  But never totally away.  That's life.

Enjoy your bittersweet symphony today.

Today's run:  2.94 miles, verified by Nike + running app.  Bittesweet Symphony by The Verve:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74.  Watch it; you're already singing it in your head anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment