Tuesday, September 6, 2016

One way to lose people - Days 58-61 of running streak, days 55-58 of Sugar Free Challenge*

"Dad, have you been slacking on your blog lately?"  My lovely daughter asked me that when she was home from school this weekend.

Yes, I told her.  Yes I have been.  Not on the running or the sugar free* eating, but on the actual writing about it.  I'm in a show (you might have heard me mention it a few times - 1776. playing John Adams the lead role, a lot of lines to learn, etc.) so I've been using any spare time except for my running time to learn lines.

So my writing has definitely suffered.  For the folks who read my blog and look forward to it on a daily basis, I'm sorry.

I'll be honest and say it's going to be sporadic for a few weeks, especially on the weekends.  Lines, soccer games, etc.  But the activity and the healthy eating will continue.

Why?  Because I have heard from a few of you that I am inspiring you.  My example is helping you to make better decisions about rest, exercise and eating.  I am SO glad for this; most of you have messaged me or replied on Facebook, but one of you tagged me in a post as one of the many examples of friends who have changed their lives for the better with healthy choices.  You want to do that too, so you posted your health goals for the week.  Don't think I won't be checking in with you.

I told my wife after my heart surgery that I wasn't going to be a crusader.  If people choose to live unhealthy, I wasn't going to fuss at them.  But I was going to live, eat, exercise a certain way, and if I could help one person not go through what I did it would be worth it.

One way to lose people who actually take the time to read what you write is by not writing.  Another way is if they think that you no longer care about them.  So I just want you to know that the blog isn't going anywhere, and I care a lot.  I think about who might read this and what they might get from it.  Maybe they need a laugh, or some encouragement, or some good information.

I don't want to lose you, especially if you're getting something from this.  I want you to make the changes that you want to make, and start a blog of your own if you want to.  Please keep reading, and I'll keep writing, at least on a semi-regular basis.

My last 5 runs:  9/2 - 1.02 miles, 9/3 - 2.88 miles, 9/4 - 1.03 miles, 9/5 - 2.90 miles, 9/6 - 2.92 miles, all verified by the Nike + running app.

1 comment: