Friday, September 16, 2016

Don't ask why - Days 69-71 of running streak, Days 66-68 of Sugar Free Challenge*

Why do bad things happen to good people?  My friend lost her sister on Wednesday unexpectedly; she was a wonderful person who loved to help people.  She was a nurse.  She helped me after my heart surgery, telling me everything I needed to do and not to do.

She was a great person.  My friend is also pretty great.  Why?

Why do things like this happen?  It sucks.

About a month before I had my heart surgery, a friend of mine, the mom of one of my daughter's dance friends, died of a heart attack at home.  She was somewhere around my age, healthy, full of life.  Now she's gone.

I had surgery and lived.  Why?  Why does one die and one live?

Why do I get up and run every day?  Because I can.  It fills me with life; I can feel my heart pounding, the cool air on my arms and legs, and I feel alive.

I'm in a show that opens next week, 1776.  I keep thinking, "If I had died, I couldn't have had this wonderful experience."  Which is a dumb thing to think, but I can't help it.

My friends didn't want to die.  They had sisters and brothers and daughters and husbands.  They had things they wanted to do, people that they wanted to grow old with and people that they wanted to see grow up.

When is it our time?  How can we know?  We can't.  I wouldn't want to know, and neither would you.

What would you do differently?  Would you treat people differently?  Would you treat yourself differently if you knew you had a day left, or a week or a year?  Would you do things that you had always wanted to do?

Why?  My friends didn't know that they were going to die, but that didn't matter.  They loved people, people loved them.  They took care of people.  They loved their families.  They laughed, lived and loved.

Don't ask why.  Just don't.  You'll never know why.  And what good would it do you?

Live this life the way you want to.  Don't be afraid to laugh and love.  Treat yourself to a nice run or walk today.  Look around and see your world as a walker or runner.  Stop dying and start living.  Stop being sad and smile.  Think about all the great people and things in your life.

Live.

Last three runs:  Wednesday 1.03 miles, Thursday 1.06 miles, today 3.00 miles, all verified by the Nike + running app.






No comments:

Post a Comment