Friday, July 29, 2016

Better late then never - Day 23 of running streak, Day 20 of Sugar Free Challenge*

I'm late again, y'all.  Sorry.

Not as late as yesterday.  It's still daytime.  But not either of my usual writing times.

What's going on?  What's wrong with me?  Will I have to stop writing?

Of course not.  I'll keep writing forever now.  It's one of the things that keeps me going every day.

Maybe it will be about running and fitness and diet, maybe it will be about something else.  I don't know.

I used to write when I was a kid in high school.  My English teacher Mr. Greth told me that I was one of the best creative writers that he had ever taught.  That he used my stories as models well after I graduated.

He would probably hate my terrible use of punctuation and my prepositions at the beginnings of sentences.  But he'd like what I'm writing about, I think.  See what I did there?

I wanted to write stories and novels and plays, but I decided that it wasn't very practical.  So I stopped and went to college for business.

When I started college for business, I wanted to change my major to double in communications and drama.  My business advisor talked me out of it.  Wasn't practical.  I went on to be a very average business student, and acted in some plays in college, and sang in a heavy metal band, and played tennis.  And I met my wife there.

We moved to New York City in 1994, finally deciding not to be practical so that I could go to acting school.  I became one of the only students who graduated with an A+ in speech and dialects.  It was truly the time of our lives.

And when I didn't get a ton of acting work, you guessed it, I went back to business.  I found a great job and made some great money, and acting kind of drifted away.

You're getting the idea here, right?  I kept trying to do what I wanted to but kept going back to what was SAFE.  I thought anyway.

20 some years after New York, I'm acting some.  I was just in Phantom of the Opera and Oliver! last year, and I'm part of a fantastic local group with great local acting and writing talent.  And I'm in a heavy metal band again.

I've decided that it's never too late to do what I want to do.  Never.

Well, it was almost too late for me about six months ago.  But I got to live.

You never know what life will throw at you.  Right now, I'm dealing with something pretty big.  But it's not going to throw me, not again.  No matter what.

I'll keep on writing and acting and singing and rocking.  Better late than never!

Today's run:  2.23 miles, verified by Nike + running app.


No comments:

Post a Comment