Monday, July 25, 2016

Harder than yesterday? - Day 19 of running streak, Day 16 of SFC*

Okay, so I was determined NOT to make the same mistakes that I made yesterday.

So much for that.

I went to sleep around 11 and got up at 5 - that's 6 hours of sleep.  NOT ENOUGH.

Put the clothes on, the shoes on, opened the front door...and I had to go.  Couldn't turn back, wouldn't be able to do it later.

Man I felt bad.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.

But I started my Nike + running app and got going anyway.  That's kind of my theme, right?  You don't feel like doing it, but you do it anyway.

I am not a fast runner.  Ask any of my fast running children.  They will tell you.  I am incredibly easy to beat 1v1 in soccer, even though I am still larger and craftier than any of them.  But they are faster.

Pretty much everyone is faster.

But this morning I felt especially slow.  I celebrate my "fast times", but don't really dwell on them.  This is why.  I heard the app tell me, "Average time, 9.30 minutes per mile."

Geez, I could walk it faster.

But I didn't get down, just said to myself, "it's a slow day, just be glad you pushed through and got out here."  So I did.

I thought again about stopping short of my distance for the day, but just kept trudging along.

Just kept going.

Life is like that, isn't it?  Some days we break records, some days we achieve greatness.

Other days, we do what we're supposed to, expecting great results, but we don't get them.  We plod along, doing what we do every day.  And our greatness has to be suspended until tomorrow or the next day.

Sometimes our going through the motions creates opportunities for great things.  And, sometimes it doesn't.

But we'll never know if we don't have these days, will we?  We have to put the work in no matter what.

So I got to my distance, slowly.  Maybe I'll go faster and farther tomorrow.  Either way, I'll be out there, putting the work in.  Hope you all are doing that too.

Today's run:  2.15 miles, verified by the Nike + running app.

No comments:

Post a Comment