Monday, July 18, 2016

Why sleep is important: GREAT podcast for you - Day 12 of running streak, Day 9 of SFC*

Happy Monday everyone!

Why are you moaning and groaning??  It's Monday, back to business, back to getting into the swing of things.  You make the most of it, whatever your situation is.

I got decent sleep last night, still not quite enough, but enough to feel refreshed.  Banged out 2.01 miles; first time over 2 miles in a LONG time.  Felt great, felt accomplished.  Wonderful to feel the cool morning air as I walked back home for my cool down.

I mention sleep on here a lot.  I was severely sleep deprived for several years before my heart surgery. Since then, I've learned much more about the importance of sleep, to the point where I think that my lack of sleep helped cause my heart problems.  I was (am) overweight, but not by a lot.  I didn't eat all of the right foods, but I wasn't completely off the rails.  Genetics?  Maybe, but I'm adopted, so I don't know whether I'm genetically predisposed for heart disease.

But I know I was getting 4 1/2-5 hours of sleep almost every night.  Almost EVERY night.  For years.

My cardiologist says I'm supposed to get 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night.  That's my optimum number.

Everybody's different, but in general you should be sleeping between 7-8 1/2 hours every night.

When did we get to the point where we thought that something like that is absolutely necessary for health and well-being is unimportant?  Or that you're a wimp if you can't function on little sleep?

Arianna Huffington asks that question too.  You know her; she is a successful author and runs The Huffington Post.  A very driven and achievement-oriented person.

She collapsed from sleep deprivation a few years ago on a college tour with her daughter.

So she learned about the dangers of sleep deprivation, and how to overcome it and get the right amount of sleep.

Here's a link to a fantastic podcast about sleep hosted by James Altucher, featuring Arianna Huffington:  http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2016/05/arrianna-huffington/.  If you don't pay attention to anything else on this blog, please do this!  It could save your life.  I care about you way too much for you to not pay attention to this.

Have a great day, and get some sleep!!!!

Today's run:  2.01 miles, verified by Nike + running app.


No comments:

Post a Comment