Friday, July 22, 2016

Living after midnight - Day 16 of running streak, day 13 of SFC*

"Livin' after midnight, rockin' til the dawn, lovin' til the mornin', then I'm gone, I'm gone..."

At almost 50 years old, I don't do any of those things anymore.  I mean, I do them, just before midnight.  I'm usually too tired to do any of them after midnight.

I've mentioned our band a few times in this blog, yet another thing I'm grateful for (see yesterday's blog about being grateful).  We're a bunch of guys in our late 40s-early 50s who play heavy metal from the 70s and 80s.  The band's called Rusty Metal, and we found each other through Craig's List, of all places.

They are fantastic musicians, and I hadn't sung this kind of music publicly for over 30 years.  But it worked out great, and I'm finding my metal voice again.  Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, early Motley Crue:  we have about 30 songs under our belt.

They were kind enough to wait on me to recover from heart surgery and not replace me.  Which I am REALLY grateful for.

We lost one of our guitarists recently.  His company was shutting down and he had to work insane hours to help keep the company going until the end.

Without two guitars, no Maiden, no Priest, not much of anything.  More importantly, he's a great guy that's fun to hang with.

Did I mention that we're all family men with regular jobs that just like to get together and jam?  It keeps us off the street, I guess.

When I got to rehearsal last night, I was thrilled to hear his voice from the rehearsal room.  And to hear him split the solo with our other great guitarist on "Aces High".

Anyway, one of our best songs that we do is "Living After Midnight" by Judas Priest.

Not their heaviest song, but a classic that everybody knows.

It's funny to sing those young man's lyrics when you're...old.  Maybe you remember when you did all that.

When I hit the road on my run at 5:05 this morning, I thought:  I'm Living After Midnight.  Really living.  I passed some other folks running who were also living after midnight, rockin' til the dawn.

I saw some more at 5:30, some more at 6:30 when I was on my way to work.

Then I was gone, I was gone.  Disappearing into traffic with a smile on my face.

Have a great day!!

Today's run:  2.08 miles, verified by Nike + running app.  Video for Living After Midnight by Judas Priest:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEeJbXcxy1k&list=RDgEeJbXcxy1k

No comments:

Post a Comment