Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Mission, part 2: Success and failure - Day 11 of running streak, day 8 of SFC*

Yesterday's mission was a big success.

We drove to Atlanta, found the kid, picked her up, drove her from Atlanta to Murrells Inlet, SC, dropped her off at second mission group, and drove home.  Left the house at 10 am Saturday, got back at 2:30 am Sunday.  844.4 miles.

We had a good time, with the kid telling us about the relationships that she made with the poor kids in Nicaragua, and how good her high school Spanish was in communicating with them.  Turns out it was actually pretty helpful.

Our boys got picked up from Boy Scout camp by my wife's cousin and spent the night with them.  we called them and heard about a fun week of earning Merit Badges and passing swim tests.  Look forward to hearing more about that today after we bring them home.

That mission was a success.  With help, we got everyone where they needed to be and made it safely back home.

Then I got up to run this morning.  I let myself sleep until 8, but still sleep deprived after 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  Then I remembered that I loaned the boys my phone that has the Nike + running app on it.
Crap, no way to verify.  Oh well, I'll run anyway and estimate it.

I chugged along, half a mile, three quarters, one mile; I've gotten to know checkpoints now.

My legs felt like lead.  I wondered if I could go on.  I was so tired, plus my legs had been folded up for the better part of 16 hours.

So I stopped somewhere around 1.2 or 1.3 miles.

Mission failed.  I knew the day would come where I wouldn't run farther than the day before, I just didn't think it would come this soon.

I still did my mile plus, and it was witnessed by some walkers and some strolling moms.  But I still feel like I failed some.  So on a mission, you can succeed and fail, because my mission from yesterday is still in tact. 

Tomorrow I'm breaking 2 miles.  See you then.

Today's run - 1.2 miles, witnessed by neighbors and walkers that I don't know.  Nike + running app not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment