Wednesday, July 27, 2016

What I'm eating today and every day - Day 21 of running streak, Day 18 of Sugar Free Challenge*

Happy Lunchtime everybody!!

It's been a great day so far; hope you all are having a great day too.

When people find out that I'm running every day, I get about three or four different responses.

Some of them give me the ones I've talked about so far:  "I wish I had time for that", "I can't run or I would", "I'm too busy for that", etc.  I've already addressed those, so I won't rehash today.

Some get worried:  "Do you think that's too much?"  My answer:  no.  When I ran regularly back in 2008, I got up to about 30-35 miles per week.  Right now I'm at about 15.  So I have some room to go.  And like I said on Day 1, if I get injured, I'll stop.

Some say it's inspirational and that they want to do it too, and get started.  Great! That's fantastic.

You don't have to run every day.  You can if you want to.  You need to do something physical every day though.

Sometimes I get asked about diet.  This is important because you can't just exercise or just eat well to maximize your health.  You need to do both.

You can't out-exercise your diet.  My 14 year old son is trying to do this.  I told him if he ever quits playing soccer he'll weight 300 lbs.

So what do I eat every day?  It's a little different but basically something like this:

Breakfast:  1 cup of plain oatmeal sweetened with honey and a banana cut up in it, with a splash of 1% milk.

Lunch:  a couple apples, some grapes, some watermelon today (delicious!  Seeded is WAY better than seedless) and a mozzerella cheese srick for protein.

Snack:  nuts of any kind, an ounce or two.  Maybe some sweet potato chips or blue corn chips from Aldi

Dinner:  A lean meat of some kind (chicken or fish, grilled or broiled), a vegetable or fruit, maybe a grain (rice or couscous).  Beef once a week at most

Lots of water during the day and coffee with half and half and Truvia to sweeten it.

I'm surprisingly fuller and more fulfilled by my meals now than when I was eating cheeseburgers and sweet garbage from the convenience store.  Maybe it's not so surprising.

What do you eat?  Try something like my diet if you need to make a change.

Today's run - 2.19 miles, verified by Nike + running app.




No comments:

Post a Comment