Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Unintentional lies, sugar-free challenge* update and today's run - Day 6 of running streak, Day 3 of SFC*

Hi gang.  Lots to talk about today; I'll try not to meander too much.

First, I unintentionally lied to you yesterday about the sugar.  I told you that my only refined sugar was from a few sips of sweet tea from reflex habit.  A lie.

I found out this morning that the "coffee" that I was drinking from my company's K-cups, Cafe Caramel, isn't really coffee at all, but a sugary beverage with "coffee" as the 11th ingredient listed.
So I was getting added sugar without even knowing it.  Today I switched to a true coffee.  Sorry about that, but do you see how pervasive sugar is?  I mean, I'm even allowing myself sugar in regular non-"sweet" foods like bread, sauces, peanut butter, etc, and in fruit.  And there it was in this "coffee", already added.  It is everywhere, and it is our enemy.

The other sugar news for me is that prior to taking this challenge, I was going way over on my calorie goal on my heart-healthy diet.  My goal for the day is 1660 net calories (figuring in exercise), and even with exercise I was going over by hundreds of calories every day from eating sugary junk.

Last night when I was logging my food for the day I still had 1200 calories to go!  Just from eliminating the garbage that I was getting no nutrition from.

So I need to eat more healthy snacks throughout the day so that I'm not famished by suppertime, or cheat by eating junk with no nutritional value.

This morning's run was wonderful; up at 5, still a little struggle with getting going but worked through that after the first mile.  Then it was just a matter of how far I would go today.

I've abbreviated sugar-free* challenge to SFC in the title so that I don't have to type out "sugar-free* challenge" every day.  I'm still keeping the asterisk though, because I like asterisks.  They make you wonder what's REALLY going on, right?

Tomorrow, I'm going to share a GREAT podcast with you from Dr. Sanjiv Chopra that I heard yesterday.  It is hands-down one of the best, most useful health podcasts that I have ever listened to.
Hope to see you then!

Today's run:  1.79 miles, verified by Nike + running app for iPhone.  Here's my activity since July 2:  https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/p/myactivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment