Saturday, July 9, 2016

Running in the morning - Day 3 of streak

Good morning!

It's 5:44 am.  I woke up at 5, like I do most days. 

A lot of you get up early as well.  A lot of you don't.  There's no right or wrong here, just what you're used to combined with what you have to do.

I have an internal alarm that gets me up at 5 no matter what.  It's a combination of annoying and incredibly useful.  I get up, shake the dust off, find my running clothes and shoes in the dark, and get out there most mornings at around 5:10.

I get to the top of the driveway and stretch my hamstrings and torso.  I pull up the Nike + running app on my phone, it counts down 3-2-1 and I start running.

At 5:11 or so each summer morning, it's a fairly comfortable 70 degrees.  I see people running during the day when it's 95 or 100 and I wonder how they live.  Or if they're miserable.  Most of them are really good looking, so they're probably not that miserable.  It's just so HOT during the day; how do they do it?

Maybe they sleep in.  Maybe they would go early if they could.

I run on the road, because there's almost no traffic.  It's exciting because you're not supposed to, because that's where the cars go.  But it's smooth, and clear, and keeps going on forever.  You want to keep going, to see where it goes.

You fight with yourself a little, wondering why you're out there, but that goes away quickly.  The cool air washes over you as you run, and you're suddenly glad to be out there.  Just you, and the night and the quiet.

You think about random things that pop in your mind.  I think about the kid in Nicaragua (told you I would), about bills, about the pizza I ate yesterday and that I shouldn't have.

And before I know it, it's over.  And I'm here, telling you about it.

Running in the morning.  You should really try it. 

Today's run:  1.72 miles, tracked with the Nike + running app.

No comments:

Post a Comment