Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Hardest Run Yet - Day 18 of running streak, day 15 of SFC*

Today was the hardest run yet since I started the streak.

We went to the beach for the day yesterday and didn't get home until 1:30 am.  I don't recommend it.

I tried getting up at 7, even got up and put on my running stuff.  I walked out the front door, and immediately realized that it wasn't going to work.  I  hadn't had enough sleep.  So I turned around, walked back to the bedroom, took off my stuff and slept for another hour.  I got up at 8 and went for it.

As you already know, I run in the dark.  It's cool and I'm alone and there are no cars.

At 8 am it's all messed up.  It's bright, and hot, and there are a lot of cars.  So bright.  I really don't like it. 

The damned phone wasn't working right either.  The alerts on the running app kept going off every two seconds, instead of once a mile like normal.  It was driving me crazy.

I chugged along, wondering when I would quit.  A mile again, or more?  I was sure I wouldn't make it 2+ miles today.  Just far too unpleasant.

And then I heard the app announce my best time ever after one mile.  Didn't feel like it at all.  Felt like I was running in mud.

So I had to keep going.  I couldn't stop at a mile, or a mile and a half.  I had to keep at it, so that I could see how it came out, how I finished.

So bright, so hot.  It was awful.

As I got close to the end, I started glancing down at the phone.  2.00 miles, 2.01, 2.02... wouldn't be long now.

2.09...just had to get to 2.10.  Why wouldn't it turn over?  It was taking forever.

Finally, it moved to 2.13.  It skipped all the numbers in between!  This is why I never look at it.

So I ran a little farther and faster today than I had to, by accident.  And it was great.  Fastest mile yet.

And I had thought about quitting at one mile.  If I wouldn't have known I was setting a personal record, I probably would have.

How many other times have I done this?  How many other times have I quit when I shouldn't have?

I'll never quit again.  I'll get tired and stop, but I won't give up ever again.  Neither should you.

You just might do something great!

Today's run:  2.13 miles, verified by the Nike + running app.

No comments:

Post a Comment