Thursday, August 11, 2016

Having a bad day; is there really such a thing? - Day 36 of running streak, Day 33 of Sugar Free Challenge*

I'm having a bad day.

I ran 2.48 miles after again not having slept enough.  But it went okay; slow (9.18 min/mile I think was average) but I got it done.  Got ready for work and oldest kid drove me in.  That was nice.  It occurred to me that it would be the last time she did that this summer, maybe ever.

We talked about what was going on today, what we needed to do, where we needed to be.  Coordinating, discussing money.  I really hope to get to the point in my life where I never need to discuss money.  Maybe one of these days.

But that was it; it's been downhill from there.  Work has been difficult today, I don't think I'm hitting anyone's expectations, especially my own.  I feel especially inadequate today.

So I'm having a bad day.

Right.

Some of you may find out bad news today about something.  I hope not.  You may find out that your health is bad, or that someone has died, or that there has been another shooting or terrorist attack.

That is an actual bad day.

Actually, there really isn't a "bad" day.  Days are neither good nor bad.  They just exist as part of our time telling system.

We've specified units of time to help us run our lives; days are the 24 hour unit that we use.

Things happen during these days and we react to them.  That's how life works.

We don't feel the same about the same things, so your great day may be my bad day, and vice versa.

My good news may be of no concern to you; my bad news may be nothing compared to your bad news.

So if a lot of good things happen to us, we say that it's been a "good day."  Or a "bad day" if it goes the other way.

It's really just how we react to life.  So what do we do?  Do we fake it?  Do we get mad and shut down?

Nah.  We just deal with life the best we can and keep going.  Right?  We all have our stuff, our problems, our triumphs, our challenges.

All different.  All similarly important and unimportant in the great scale of things, which also doesn't exist.

When I'm having a "bad day" I remind myself of the great things that I have going for me.  A wife and three great kids.  I didn't die of heart disease 6 months ago.  I have a job where I work with great people.  I can make people happy when I act and sing and write, sometimes.

Bad days, or whatever, are temporary.  The problems that cause them can be large, sometimes permanent.  But we have to go on.

We have to take care of ourselves and our stuff, and be as happy as we can be.

We have to remember that we are good, that there are some great things in all of our lives.

We have to deal with the bad stuff, and run toward the good stuff.

And now, from writing this, my "bad day" is starting to get better.  Hope you take the time to read this.

Today's run:  2.48 miles, verified by Nike + running app.

No comments:

Post a Comment