Thursday, August 18, 2016

Taking breaks - Day 43 of running streak, day 40 of Sugar Free Challenge*

Got some sleep last night (finally!); still not quite enough but much more refreshed.

Run was nice this morning.  2.62 miles, just a tad over 9 minutes per mile.  Felt great, still feeling jazzed from it.

Somebody asked me the other day if it was okay to take a break from eating well, exercise, etc.  Was it okay to just chill out, or eat a cheeseburger, or something.

Depends.  I don't eat healthy EVERY meal, every day.  Just ate some tater tots, as a matter of fact; gift from a co-worker.  But I eat healthy most meals, not always rabbit food but usually once a day for meat.

I do run every single day.  Without fail.  So far that hasn't been too hard, some days harder than others.  Let's see how I feel in January.

It all depends on your will power and how strong your habits are.  If you can eat a piece of cake today, or a cheeseburger, then go back to lean meat or fish and veggies, go for it.  Unless you're trying to go Sugar Free*.  Then the answer is no to the cake.

If you've developed the habit of eating well, you really don't miss the other stuff that much.  Sure, I crave a donut once in a while, but it's usually because I'm tired or thirsty.  I eat a little peanut butter or drink some water, and the craving is gone.  Or some fruit.

I have made a habit of running every single day.  It's a good habit.  I enjoy it, even though I have to get up a little earlier.   I have to prepare for it the night before, so that I have no distractions, nothing to keep me from it.

I have also made bad habits through the years.  Not getting enough sleep, for example.  Still have that one.  Or eating garbage.  Or not exercising.

It's easy to keep those too, and hard to break them.  But once you do, and have good habits, you're better off not breaking them.  You never know when you'll lose them.

I've been down this road before, see.  In 2008 I ran and ate well, and lost 60 lbs.  Then I got plantar fasciitis, and stopped, but had already started eating badly because I was burning like 1000 calories every day.  I gained most of the weight back.  I did the same thing in 2012.  I guess it's Olympic years, or election years, or something.

I'm not screwing up this time.  I'm running every day, unless I simply can't due to illness or injury.  I'm eating well 98% of the time, and avoiding sugar almost all the time.I'm drinking water.  I'm being grateful.

I'm living the rest of my life.  And I'm not letting bad habits rule me.  Except the sleep thing; gotta get that under control.

Today's run - 2.62 miles, verified by Nike + running app.




No comments:

Post a Comment