Friday, August 19, 2016

The good with the bad - Day 44 of running streak, Day 41 of Sugar Free Challenge*

I just got cast as John Adams in 1776 at a terrific theater near me.  They do great musicals; I did Oliver! and Phantom of the Opera with them last year.  They regularly draw huge crowds and get written up in the big local media.

John Adams is the lead in 1776.  It's a big part.  I can't wait to start digging into it; rehearsals start right away.  It's a great opportunity.

To accept the part, I had to break another commitment that I had already made to act in another show with some great local writers and directors.  Friends of mine, some of whom I've known for over 20 years.  I feel bad about letting them down, because now they have to find somebody else.  I wouldn't blame them if they have hard feelings toward me about it.  But I couldn't say no.

To go running every day, I have to say no to some other responsibilities, and hope to get them taken care of later.  But I have to exercise and make myself better.  I can't say no to that.  I said no before, and wound up having heart surgery.

Growth is painful; my oldest son, who is 14, is almost 6 feet tall.  He wears size 12 shoes.  He will be taller than me any minute now.  He is either eating or sleeping a lot of the time; gotta keep that growth going.  It's tiring.

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.  The great new job that's in Cleveland.  The great school that's 90 minutes away from home.  Getting up at 5 am to go running.

Keep your commitments if you can.  Your relationships and your health are the two most important things in your life.

But if you have the opportunity to do something great that you may not be able to do again, you have to go for it.

People will understand.  They may not like it, but they'll understand on some level.  Hurting people sucks.  I don't like to do it, I don't think anyone does.

Enjoy this day, keep growing in spite of the pain.  Take the good with the bad.

Today's run - 2.66 miles, verified by the Nike + running app



No comments:

Post a Comment