Tuesday, August 2, 2016

I Heart You - Day 27 of running streak, Day 24 of Sugar Free Challenge*

When I'm running, I think.  Most of the time anyway.

When I'm starting I think, "Why am I out here again?"

When I'm finishing I think, "Okay just a little bit farther..."

In between, I think about a lot of stuff.  Like what I'm going to write today.  What will make today's entry different from other days, or similar if I'm trying to make a point.

Today I figured I'd tell my heart story.  Some of you have heard this story before, but you may want to hear it again.  Here goes:

About a year and a half ago, I started to have chest pressure when I did normal active things.  Like walking up steps or walking for long distances.  Running was pretty much out of the question.

This should have really alarmed me, because I used to run a lot.  I used to help coach youth soccer and I would run with the kids during practice and scrimmage with them.

I was a fat kid, really fat.  But not as much lately.  Some, but not overwhelmingly.

I eventually told my wife about this.  She was concerned, more than me.  I kept on doing my thing, going to work, whatever.

Last December, I was cutting down our family Christmas tree at our local tree farm.  Usually takes me about 5 minutes with a bow saw.  I had to stop about every 30 seconds to catch my breath.  My family was alarmed.

Then we had a family get together.  I was playing some pickup basketball with some of the younger kids.  Had to stop about 2 minutes in.  She said, "You're going to the doctor."

I went to the family doctor, passed an EKG in his office, but he didn't like my symptoms.

"You need to see the cardiologist."  Never thought I'd hear that.

Went to the cardiologist.  "Do you want to do the stress test today or schedule it for next week?"

I said today because I had already taken off work for the day.  My wife left me there to go to a funeral.

I failed the stress test (treadmill test) about a minute in.  The nurse giving the test got me a chair, looked at my results, immediately gave me a nitroglycerin pill, and called the cardiologist.

He said I had to have a heart cath.  By then, my wife had gotten back.  He asked me if I wanted it today or next week.  I said next week.  My wife wisely said, "No, you're having it today."

I had the cath done that afternoon.  I watched the probe camera go in, and saw as the doctor found my left main artery 99% blocked.

99%.  Blocked.  1% blood flow going through.

He said, "We can't fix this with a stent.  You need to have bypass surgery tomorrow."

Again, words I never thought I'd hear.  "Are you sure you can't do a stent?"

He laughed.  "Yeah, I've been doing this a while.  I'm sure.  See here where this dark area is?  That's the blockage."

Damn.  Okay, let's do it.

I met my heart surgeon a few hours later.  He was a big, gregarious guy, like a football coach.

"Hi, Eric?  I'm Dr. XXX.  We're going to get this taken care of in the morning, don't you worry about it.  I've got this, no sweat.  Okay?  You have any questions?"

I couldn't think of any.  "Alright, good deal.  We've got this!  I'll see you in the morning!"

I got admitted.  My wife went to get my boys.  When they came back, the youngest one cried a little.  I told him I was in the best place I could be, if anything happened the doctors would take care of me.

The next morning, a nurse came in and shaved me.  You wouldn't believe all the places they shave you for heart surgery.

As they wheeled me out, I saw my wife of 26 years briefly.  The lady who definitely saved my life.

"You come back!  Don't be a statistic!" she told me, or something like that.  Statistics haven't been very kind to our family over the years.

"I'll be back.  I love you!"

I went in to several smiling, happy faces and voices.  I woke up several hours later with an awful tube in my throat.  It is absolutely the worst feeling that a person can have, you want that damn thing out!
They told me going in that was a good sign when I woke up that I would want it out.

A friend of my wife's and our minister stayed with her during the surgery.  I think she told me that it lasted six hours.  I am so thankful for them staying, and for everyone who came to visit me while I was in the hospital and when I got home.  People brought us lots of good food, and sent lots of well wishes.  Thank you!

I was out of work for two months, returning at the end of March.  I'm a sales guy, so my pipeline pretty much bit the dust while I was out.

During my recovery, I began to eat better, again thanks to my wife.  She researched recipes, and found some great meals that we could eat that were more heart-healthy than what we were used to.  We hadn't been doing terribly, but we hadn't been doing great either.

I went to cardiac rehab for several months, and while I was there I started running, and you know the rest.

I don't fit the profile of a heart patient.  I'm 49, wasn't incredibly overweight when it happened, I don't smoke or drink a lot.  I have some stress, but generally deal with it pretty well.  I don't have high blood pressure.  I'm adopted, so I don't know my family history.  The doctors guess it's genetic.

So I eat meat once a day, normally, if that.  Chicken and fish, beef once a week.  One vegetarian meal a week.  Exercise every single day.

It happened to me.  Unfortunately, it could happen to you too.  And I heart you.  So I don't want that for you.

I really feel like I have a second chance to get this right.  Part of that is running and writing this blog.

Get out from in front of the computer or off of your phone.  Go outside.  Walk.  Get some sunshine and some exercise.  Don't eat that donut or those chips.  Eat an apple instead.  Drink water, some coffee (no sugar!  Stevia!), no sodas.  Realize that nothing, nothing in life is as important as your health and the people that you love.  Not work, not anything.  Be good to yourself and the people who love you.

That's it.  Now get busy living.

Today's run:  2.31 miles, verified by Nike + running app.


No comments:

Post a Comment