Friday, August 12, 2016

What about meat? - Day 37 of running streak, Day 34 of Sugar Free Challenge*

Fantastic run today.  Okay, not fantastic, but felt really good.  2.5 miles.  Only 9.17 min per mile, but not a big deal.

I've talked a lot on here about the importance of getting enough sleep.  I'm setting a very bad example of that, but we all should do it.

One thing that I am doing pretty well is eating well.  I feel like my life has truly changed since I started the Sugar Free Challenge* over a month ago.  I'll get a craving for something sugary once in a while, realize it for what it is (thirst or fatigue usually), and reach for a glass of water or a piece of fruit.  Problem solved.

But what about meat?  How much meat should you be eating and what kind?

The answer to how much is as little as possible.  Protein comes from lots of different non-meat sources, including peanut butter, eggs, and milk products (lowfat of course).

If you want to eat meat, limit it to max once a day, and about the size of a deck of playing cards for your portion.  Doesn't seem like much, does it?  But surround that meat with a grain like quinoa or couscous and some colorful vegetables, and you won't go hungry.

And lowfat lean meat.  Chicken breast or fish.  Broiled or grilled, not fried.  Not fried anything, I say as I'm munching my fried sweet potato chips!

We are suckers here in the good ole USA.  If we're in a restaurant, and they bring us a 12 or 16 oz steak, we feel like we need to eat the whole thing.  Or a giant cheeseburger and fries.  Gotta eat it all because of the starving kids in other parts of the world, right?

Wrong.  Portion size is entirely out of control, in restaurants and at home.  That's one of the reasons why we're so fat as a nation.

Pork?  Not the other white meat.  Limit it, as well as beef, to once or twice a month.

Or don't.  Say something like, "I just can't live without my rib eye steak!"

Actually, you can live without it, and live longer and happier.

Today's run:  2.50 miles, verified by the Nike + running app.

No comments:

Post a Comment