Monday, August 29, 2016

The struggle continues - Days 51-54 of running streak, Days 48-51 of Sugar Free Challenge*

So, how's it been going?  Good.  Here's how it's been going with me:

Friday 8/26 run:  1.14 miles

Saturday 8/27 run:  1.01 miles, tried running right after eating; NOT a good idea

Sunday 8/28 run:  2.80 miles.  YAY!

Monday, 8/29 run:  1.03 miles

So three of the last four days, I've done the minimum to keep the streak going.  And this is my first blog entry in four days.  Bad stuff this.

I'm not sick.  I'm not thinking about ending the streak or eating sugar*.  So what's up?

I'm in a show, 1776.  I rehearse until about 10 pm every weeknight Monday-Thursday, and on Sunday afternoons.  But that's not my excuse.

I've been pretty tired lately, and I tried to run the other day after I ate half a steak.  Right after.  What is up with that??

I think what it is is that I'm letting the old life creep in.  The life where I constantly said "no" to myself and "yes" to everybody else.  I've been doing that more than usual lately.

Running is more than just exercise to me.  It's me doing me, being me.  By myself, running in the cool dark morning.  No one there to say, "You're running too slow" or "too fast" or "too much" or "not enough".  Well, I say not enough, but that's okay.

The sounds and smells of the early morning, the rest of my world not quite awake.  I'm its' master, I run the roads, I get mad when cars come along.

I get mad when things impinge on this sacred time, when the rest of life starts creeping in.  It's not right.  This is the time that I've set aside for me.  Just like I've told all of you reading to do.  I'm being a hypocrite.  Selfish?  You bet it is.  But you have to be a little selfish to do stuff like this.

I will take the time to run, I will get my distances back on an almost daily basis.  I want to be a good example and do what I say, because how can I expect any of you to when I don't do it?

Look forward to better distances, better blogs, more consistent writing to come.  Because I love it, all of this that has come from a place of near death.  I'm alive, and this will be a celebration of life or it will cease to be.  Period.

Today's run is verified by the Nike + running app.


No comments:

Post a Comment