Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Running and writing - Day 48 of running streak, day 45 of Sugar Free Challenge*

It felt sooooo goooood to get out there this morning.

Like most mornings these days, I have a lot on my mind when I go out to run.  Lots of things going on, things I should do, things I need to do, etc.

It was probably 65-70 degrees when I got started at 5.  Slight cool to the air, perfect.  I didn't sleep well last night, tossed and turned, somehow lost my pillow during the night.  How does that happen?

Got going at a decent pace, didn't run my fastest time but did run my longest distance so far.

I just wanted to keep going, to forget about the day, just keep running.  You know what I mean?

I probably could have done 8-10 miles the way it felt.  Euphoric.  But then I would have killed my legs and back for tomorrow and not been able to keep the streak going.  Those days are coming; I'm just not ready for them yet.

Got done and had to do a couple of those morning errands I hate and have tried to get rid of.  So much for that.

Running has a way of undressing you as you do it.  If you give into it, whatever you look like, whatever shape you're in.  You just blend with the outside, the road, the breeze, the night.  Sometimes I have actually looked down to make sure I had clothes on.  I haven't forgotten so far.  But you just sink into it, you just gel with nature.

Trying to explain it doesn't justify the feeling.  And you don't always get it.  Sometimes it's like a chore, you have to do it.

Other times, it's breathtaking.  And it's the same road, same sights, same people out when you are.  But there's something, something just intoxicating about it.

I truly hope that you're giving in to something like this every day.  Running, or walking, or praying, or something.  Something that you truly surrender to, that you sort of let happen unconsciously.  Your body or mind or spirit takes over.

You can't do everything.  Or you shouldn't.  You have to have a release, a valve, something to let the pressure off.  Something that feels bigger than you.  Something that you can just give in to.

Please find something like this if you don't have something already.  TV doesn't count.  You'll know when you find it.  It will feel wonderful.

Today's run - 2.74 miles, verified by Nike + running app.

No comments:

Post a Comment