Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Just what I said - Day 55 of running streak, Day 52 of Sugar Free Challenge*

Yesterday, I told you that I had fallen into the pit of mediocrity.

I had been running much shorter distances, just enough to keep my streak going.  I even ran one night because I hadn't ran that morning, right after eating a steak.  I thought I was going to drown in the meat sweats.

I promised yesterday that I would get back on track today.  I owed it to myself, and I owed it to you.  How could I give you advice if I couldn't follow it myself?

I got home from rehearsal at 10:45 pm last night, and with the things I still had to do before bed (like eat), I didn't go to bed until 11:45 pm.  I set the alarm clock for 4:45 am.  This was not looking good.

I woke up in a daze, put on my running clothes, and staggered out into the night.  I stretched and almost lost my balance, but I didn't.  I turned on my trusty app and started running.

The air felt so cool and crisp, like fall feels.  We aren't there yet, but the cool made me think about it.  It washed over me like cool water.  I felt energized by it.

I got about a mile in and yes, started getting tired.  My thoughts went to "I can stop", "I've already ran over a mile", "That's all I need to do", "I have other things I need to do".  All that CRAP!

But I decided not to give in to it.  This, after all, was my time.  The only time that I have all day that I can just call my own.  I chose to use it well, to do something that would make me truly satisfied.

I did 2.82 miles, almost broke the 9 min. mile average.  I finished, did my cool down walk, then went back home to do the other things I needed to do before work.

On my way to work, I worked on my 1776 music, satisfied that I had done what I said I was going to do in spite of tough circumstances.  I don't always do what I say I'm going to; my family knows that.
But the more I do, the better I feel.  And the better others feel, I think.  Seems that way, anyway.

Take the time that's yours and do something wonderful with it.  Do something that makes you feel good, something that you've been wanting to do.  Something satisfying.  Not eating ice cream or watching TV.  Something more.

Can't wait until tonight (rehearsal) and tomorrow morning (running every single day)

Today's run:  2.82 miles, verified by Nike + running app

No comments:

Post a Comment